Second Storey Addition or Ground Floor Extension?
The main consideration when planning a house extension in Perth, is deciding whether to build up, or build out. Both are an excellent choice to avoid selling and moving out, but both have their own benefits and drawbacks.
In this article, we explore both options to help you decide on the best course of action for your home and family.
Benefits of a Perth house extension
You may still be on the fence about whether to invest in an extension or not, after all, it is a big decision. The additional space provided is the main reason Perth homeowners choose a house extension with Nexus Homes, but why is it better than buying new somewhere else?
The main benefits of a Perth home extension revolve around the costs. By extending, you avoid looking for and budgeting for a new property, plus you prevent the need for real estate fees and stamp-duty that you’d face when buying elsewhere.
You also benefit by staying in a familiar neighbourhood and avoid the hassle of packing everything up and moving. For more benefits, see this article, otherwise read on to find out which extension is right for you.
An extension and renovation in City Beach – more photos available here
Second storey addition
Adding a second storey to your Perth home is a great way to expand the interior space to accommodate a growing family or a change of lifestyle needs. A second storey extension carries other advantages, such as the following:
- Doesn’t encroach on your backyard space.
- Better views from the second storey.
- Enhanced natural light on the second storey.
- More cost-effective compared to rebuilding.
- You shouldn’t have to move out temporarily through the construction phase.
- Opportunity to style the second floor differently without direct contrast to the lower level.
- Depending on the extent of second storey extension, you shouldn’t have to reshape the roofline.
- Option for a balcony or private parents retreat, or
- Place the kids’ rooms upstairs so they are separate from your downstairs entertaining.
- Noise reduction for the rooms above.
A Nexus second storey addition in Mt Hawthorn – more photos available here
Besides the cost, the other possible drawbacks include:
- Home foundations may not be equipped for a second storey or will require extra structural work to ensure stability.
- The council may have restrictions in place which limit the extent of the second storey addition.
- Expanding of plumbing and electrical systems need proper permits.
Ground floor extension
Undertaking a ground floor extension provides additional space using excess land on your property. If you have a lot of unused land, then a house extension of the ground floor is worthwhile. Other benefits include:
- A single level avoids the need for stairs which take up space and use more effort to scale every day.
- Enhanced spaciousness and more connectivity if you’re able to extend to include the backyard area.
- Opportunity to have a closed-off ground floor extension, like a granny flat – which you could rent out and have a separate entrance for.
- No risk of falling downstairs, therefore safer for young children.
- Less council permits required compared to a second storey extension.
A Nexus ground floor extension and renovation in Bayswater – more photos available here
- The roofline will need to be reconstructed in part.
- Requires stable groundwork.
Modular and prefabricated house extensions
For a faster house extension project, Nexus Homes Group has a team of specialist designers and home construction workers who can construct your second storey or ground floor extension off-site. This allows your family to remain at home the whole time, even during the installation which only takes a matter of weeks.
Considering a house extension in Perth?
Over the last 11 years, the experienced team at Nexus Homes Group have perfected the art of second storey and ground floor extensions. We take the time to understand the needs of every client and plan every home project, so it exceeds all expectations.
Our supreme customer service and construction processes are second-to-none in the Perth market, so contact us for your ground floor or second storey extension or renovation.